Thursday, March 20, 2008

Playing Tricks

After just finishing ravioli I scoot my chair back a tad from the table. We are just sitting and talking, the youngest still eating. We are talking about our day, our week, what is yet to come. I tell Hubby that I need some money for upcoming days events, $4 for dance cd's and $1 for Molly's "dollar days" at school. A Fundraiser that they pay $1 to be involved in, this weeks theme is dress like a book character. Since I gave him my cash and never saw the change, I was digging into his wallet this time to get the $5. He forks up the ones and sets them on the table in front of me. Meanwhile Molly comes and sits on my lap facing me. She picks up a $1 leaving the other $4 on the table. She wads the $1 into a ball, closes her hand around it and puts both hands behind her back. She proceeds with the magic trick of guessing which hand the $1 is in. Of course I guess the wrong one...she then very stealthily takes the hand with the $1 and puts in up to my ear...and presto magic, somehow a $1 appears out of my ear! Ha ha ha, hee hee hee...I am SO amazed! When she finished laughing she asks me if that was a good trick.
"Yeah Molly, that was a great trick, but I ReaLLy want to know how you made the $4 disappear from the table?"
"Huh" She turns around and the $4 is gone. She looks on the table, under the table, under the plate, napkin, cup, up my sleeve, attempts to lift my shirt...uh no, not there. She is searching all over, I am fighting back the giggle inside. As she is on the floor looking under the table, she looks back up at me...quite seriously and says...
"Did I really do it?"
"Hmmm I don't know, I hope you remember what magic words you used because we need that $4 for dance."
She proceeds with some sort of albra ca dabra and amazingly the $4 reappears back on the table. By now she is thinking she is pretty cool!
I just hate to crush her, so I don't, but then...
"Lolo, come check this out, I can do magic for REAL!"
Uh oh, I'm in trouble, more eyes watching this time.
So we repeat through the process, Lolo completely sees what I am doing and as she is about to blurt it out and reveal my stealthiness, I wink at her. She gets it. She's with me now. Ha ha ha, this is so much fun! We continue this scene for a good ten minutes. Molly is catching on to the fact that I had the money, but she can't seem to figure out where. (I tucked it under my leg) So she starts searching me, as she is I move the money under my arm, stand up and start to walk away. She is frustrated now...where could it be? I shrug my shoulders and say "Don't know, you did the magic" as I shrug the money falls to the floor. She is amazed. She still thinks she is a REAL magician. I let her believe.
A few hours later she's getting ready for bed.
"Mom, I know that I didn't REALLY do magic, you had it the whole time...right?!"
Shrug, kiss, hug, good night.
I had to walk out, I had to let her believe.
I had to go downstairs to let out the giggle.

16 comments:

kim-d said...

Okay. I really love everything that you talk about here. I love your family because there is so much love there, and so much happiness. And pretty little girls smiling. But this story is the best. For a Mom to have her daughter believe that she can do magic is the nicest thing ever, and yet another wonderful memory that she will have with her ALWAYS. That truly is magic!

Unknown said...

Way cute story!!!! Your family sounds like so much fun. I bet seh will remember that night her entire life. Good job Mom!!

Christina

Courtney said...

What a great mom you are for letting her believe! She did do some sort of magic because childhood is magical.

Anonymous said...

I used to believe my dad could pull his thumb off - remember that one? was amazed by him. I made him show my friends so they could be amazed as well.

Sigh, to be young and believe in magic. It's sad we lose it.

Becky said...

That's so cute!

My son thought he could both fly (like Superman) and climb walls (like Spiderman). I had to hold back the laughter one day when I see him in his toy Spiderman gloves trying to climb our walls in the house one day.

And then there was my chagrin when a few days later, he'd 'learned' to scale the doorjambs to the very top. I realized right then I needed to draw the line, or he'd be trying to 'fly' from our roof or something. ;)

Are You Serious! said...

♥ Too cute!

Lori said...

that is so funny... you can just picture that scenario playing out at the table... thanks for the laugh

krissy said...

Cute post! Love it!

Happy Days said...

oh girlymom, what a great story! She is too cute and you are such a great mom!!!

Steph said...

You are SUCH a good mom! I wish I was creative like that. :)

Angela said...

You are part of her magic.
Smiles!

Amy said...

What a sweet story! You are such an awesome mom!

KATE said...

I love playing those dazzling games with them!! How fun!!

Vixbil said...

What a mum, she must have felt so cool thinking she could do magic!

Steph said...

Happy Easter to you and your family.

Steph

Chanin said...

That is so cute! We do little games like that with our kids a lot! I love it because they are always so amazed at themselves! So cute!