Thursday, November 15, 2007

As of today I lose

my HUBBY! Yup, it's finally here. Like a little kid waiting for Christmas morning, my Hubby has been waiting anxiously for today- It's Opening Day for Hunting Season- therefore it's out to the cold wet woods in hopes of being quiet enough, not smelly enough, and just darn patient enough for a deer to possibly walk on by. For weeks now the preparations have been set into play. The prehunting... you know when you have to go out into the woods to find your ideal spot, clear it of branches that might be in your way of a good shot. I mean I am by no means an expert on hunting, but how in the world do you know which branches will be in your way, it's not like there are sidewalks in the woods that the deer follow for a leisurely walk! Anyways, after your spot is all set there is still prep work to be done, who knew? The guns need to be cleaned, sighted in, licenses bought, scent remover sprayed on all clothing, chili made. Yeah, chili...now this confuses me, I thought you wanted to be scentless in the woods. It's not that the chili will be eaten in the woods, no, it's for all the brothers and dad (see wordless wed pic to see dad) to eat at the cottage where they will spend the night. What confuses me is that at least for me personally chili causes a few side effects, not too sweet smelling. Why would you choose to eat this and then try and sit scentless. Squeeze those cheeks hun, you might scare away all wildlife!

So now all prep work aside, the big day has arrived and away they go trudging out to the woods. I wish them all Good Luck! Hope they don't freeze, it's barely above freezing here at a whopping 35 degrees, but it is rainy, windy and just nasty. Gotta love Michigan weather, it was 55 degrees two days ago, I was informed that the colder weather is more suitable to the deer. I am also praying for their safety, they are a group of educated, smart, safety conscious men, but accidents happen- so I will be saying a few extra prayers this weekend.

You know what, maybe the chili side effects are part of the plan- I can't say for sure, but maybe the toot toot tooting is a new way to call the deer- or stun them!

Good luck guys, have a great weekend and remember this is the only time I will agree that the bigger the RACK the better!

(I will still be watching Bambi with the kids for our Friday Night Movie Night!)

16 comments:

Lizzy in the Burbs said...

Hi Girlymom,

Wow! Never knew that much prep went into hunting. I don't think I'd want to be staying in that cabin with all those men who've been eating chili, however, yikes! (can you say "this is a good place for a stick up!") Perhaps you should send along a bottle of "beano"?

girlymom said...

Good point, beano, gas x, gas masks, something- the cottage might be more lethal than the woods full of hunters!

Steph said...

My hubby is a big hunter too, thank goodness all of his big hunts are over! He got his 'big bull' elk in september of this year...how exciting. Now we will get to have a oversized elk head in our...where? I really have no idea where to put the thing, we need vaulted ceilings!
Here's to another hunting widow!
Have fun with the girls!
Oh, and good luck to the hubby, I hope he gets his trophy! (and doesn't knock the deer over with his.....toot toot toots!) :)

Kellan said...

Cute post - good hunting! See ya.

Unknown said...

great post. My hubby just returned, as you know, from the annual duck hunting trip. He seemed less than enthused with his trip, but when I asked if he is going to go again next year he answered "YES!" So all is not lost. ;)

Becky said...

Cute post, and I agree...I wouldn't want to be shut into a cabin with chili-eatin' hunters.

Hope your husband has a happy hunting trip!

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Yep! Women everywhere are sharing your joy, err I mean pain. Have fun watching Bambi and shopping!

Steph said...

Hey, just in case you are interested, here is my post where I posted pictures of my hubby and his elk. Maybe you don't care to see it, maybe you do, in any case it's up to you! Haha, I'm a poet and didn't know it!
Maybe your hubby would appreciate it.
In any case, whatever...enjoy!

http://4girls4me.blogspot.com/2007/09/well-big-news-in-our-family-is-that.html

Valarie said...

Ha! this is like the 5th post in a couple days I have read about farts! And, never fail, talking about farts is always funny!!

onthegomom said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting!!

Best of luck to your husband and his big hunting weekend. We are in the mid-west as well, but no one in my family hunts. Which, truth be known, I am happy about.

Have fun watching Bambi! I love Thumper :)

http://momoftheyear-not.blogspot.com/

R Royal Family said...

Thanks for the laugh, this was a great post. I especially liked the part about the deer walking along the sidewalk ;-)

Have fun watching Bambi tonight ;-)

Family Adventure said...

I'll second that - be careful. And squeezing the cheeks - funny! :)

Hope you have a good weekend with your kidlets.

Heidi

desirae said...

I totally understand about all the preparation. My hubby hunts too, and apparently you can never have too much deer pee, or something like that. I think he just uses the hunting thing as an excuse to leave us for the weekends. (little does he know, we kind of like it..) He's never taken chili. I'll have to suggest it, if he eats it, the deer will smell him and run, and I won't end up with another deer head on the wall. Awesome..

junglemama said...

I'm not sure I could hang with the hunting thing. My husband prefers chess, although I am sure he can get into hunting.

You have a beautiful family!

Cute pictures.

Amy said...

just dropping by. got your link from kellan. my husband loves to hunt and i he laughs when i tell him how many bloggers' husbands hunt. i don't have any other friends with husbands who hunt so i love hearing stories from hunting wives on blogs.

he'll probably encourage me to blog more often now! take care.

Be Inspired Always said...

You have a beautiful family.


My husband hunts in our backyard since we live in the country. There are deer everywhere. So I don't have to worry about being in some stinky old cabin full of hunters, I can just sit by the fireplace and lock the door. LOL


I'm new to your blog, please feel welcomed to visit mine.



Jillian